
Chief Justice finds no prima facie case in petitions to remove EC Chair, deputies and Special Prosecutor
The Chief Justice, Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie, has determined that petitions seeking the removal of the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Mrs Jean Mensa, her two deputies and the Special Prosecutor, Mr Kissi Agyebeng, do not establish a prima facie case to warrant further action.
The Presidency disclosed the decision in a statement issued on Wednesday, February 18, 2026 and signed by the Spokesperson to President John Dramani Mahama and Minister for Government Communications, Mr Felix Kwakye Ofosu.
According to the statement, President Mahama received seven petitions from individuals and groups targeting Mrs Mensa and her deputies, Dr Bossman Eric Asare, Deputy Chairperson in charge of Corporate Services, and Mr Samuel Tettey, Deputy Chairperson in charge of Operations.
Three separate petitions sought the removal of Mr Agyebeng.
In line with Article 146 of the 1992 Constitution and Section 15 of the Office of the Special Prosecutor Act, 2017 (Act 959), President Mahama referred the ten petitions to the Chief Justice on November 25, 2025, for a preliminary determination on whether they disclosed a prima facie case for further proceedings.
The statement said the grounds cited by petitioners included allegations of misconduct such as cronyism, abuse of office and gross incompetence.
Some of the petitions were filed by individuals, including an Electoral Commission staff member, Mr Joseph Blankson Adumadzie, a database administrator at the Commission’s headquarters, who cited twelve counts of stated misbehaviour.
Mr Kwakye Ofosu had earlier explained that the President’s role in the process ends with forwarding the petitions to the appropriate authority, in this instance the Chief Justice, and that the President takes no further part unless required after the review.
In a letter dated January 26, 2026, the Chief Justice informed President Mahama that none of the petitions met the constitutional threshold required to trigger further investigations or proceedings against the named officials.
The Presidency said no prima facie case had been established and the matter was closed at that stage.



